Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Winner: In a World Where Magic is Common

 Hi everyone! Long time no write. Sorry about that.
 I don't have anything from me, but I do have an amazing winner to my latest writing challenge. This post is a magnificent response from my beautiful friend Caroline C. to the writing prompt: "In a World Where Magic is Common, What Happens to Those Born Without It?
Caroline is a splendid, budding writer. Her superb continuation goes as follows:

Sometime during the night Lilly came out of her daze and Lavender had ceased her crying and only whimpered. Lilly took her in her arms, “Oh you poor thing,” she cooed and nursed Lavender.
I was still weeping an hour later, when Lavender was a well fed and sleeping baby. My wife tossed in an un-restful and un-peaceful sleep.  
 Another hour passed.
 Two hours went by.
 When a nurse came in three hours later I was only vaguely aware of when she entered and exited the room from checking on my wife. My mind was occupied with how to save my daughter, but, I could not think of any way.
I picked up my sleeping infant daughter and held her close. Perhaps for the last time, I thought horrified. I had thought of no escape plan for our sweet Lavender in all those long and fateful hours. My tears burst again afresh and one of them fell onto her tiny cheeks. I looked down at her. Lavender sighed and stretched, but did not wake. So beautiful, I thought. Her shininess seemed to shine more brightly and I felt strangely comforted by it. 
I kissed her tiny forehead and stroked her cheek with my finger. “So small, so young,” I whispered and lay her back in the crib.
Tap, tap.
Tap, tap.
I started, surprised. It was coming from the door. 
Tap, tap.
  My heart pounded. Could it be the Queen’s guards?
I went to the door and opened it slightly. I saw the outline of a woman framed against the wall.  
  Curious, I fully opened the door. The woman stepped into the dim light. It was a young, blonde nurse. Her face was sharp and serious.
“Yes?” I asked, relieved but surprised.
Sir, I must speak with you,” her voice was urgent. 
 “Come in,” I said and stepped back.
  She stepped into the room with an air of determination and closed the door behind herself.
“What can I do for you?” I asked. 
“Your child,” she said, “was born without magic; therefore the Queen will want her.” 
“How did you know?” I exclaimed, only half surprised. News spread like wildfire, so I expected everyone knew by now. Even the Queen. Her guards were probably on their way now. 
“Only the doctor, chief nurse, and I know,” she seemed to read my mind, “It will not spread. For now.” She took a deep breath. 
“Let me take your daughter-”
My jaw dropped. “You-take my Lavender?!”I gasped, “To the Queen?!”  
  Now I was angry, “NO! If she must be taken I will take Lavender.”
Even at my harsh words the girl did not back down, “No, not to the Queen! she snapped. “To a safe place far away where the Queen will never find her.” Her eyes flashed blue flame. 
I sat down, shocked, but felt hope swelling up. Why would this young nurse dare to risk her life for MY daughter? 
“How? Why?!” I gaped. I could not fathom her bravery or pity. 
She frowned. “There is not time. Will I take her or not?” 
“How can I trust you?” I asked. 
“You must.” 
  I must decide. Quickly. A choice lay before me for my daughter-an unknown life of freedom or an uncertain fate with the Queen? I knew what my decision was.
I took a deep breath, “I feel as if I can trust you. Take her- Lavender.” 
  The rest of what happened, I remember only vaguely. Me kissing my daughter and watching the nurse take her away from us. Me standing at the window to see a lone horse and figure ride into the dusk near dawn.
 It was over. Lavender had left us. Forever.
I began to weep again. What would I tell Lilly?

  The next morning when we left the hospital, it was a hive of bees.
“What’s all the commotion?” I asked a nurse who was rifling through a pile of parchments.
“Why, you haven’t heard sir?!” she exclaimed still searching the pile, “A nurse went missing last night-”
 The chief nurse stopped mid-sentence. Her face turned white, “The baby’s papers-the one without magic-they’re gone!”
 Just then another nurse came scurrying in. Her face was pale and eyes big. “Where-is-the-doctor?” she gasped.  
“What is it?” asked the other nurse. 
“The baby- the one born last night-it’s gone!” 
Lilly glanced up at me, but the look was blank of expression. 


No comments:

Post a Comment