Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

Writing Prompt: It is a world where magic is common; what happens to those born without it?

She was born with shiny brown eyes. That's how we all new. Because most babies here are born, screaming, kicking, glittering - glittering magic all around.

The minute our Lavender appeared, she coughed, shook, and shined instead. We new at once something was wrong. There were no sparkles. There was no screaming and kicking from the pain it caused as magic rushed into the heart.

Lavender shined from her magic depraved eyes. She coughed and sputtered for her first breath, shaking from her cold and wet condition.

"You have a special one, here." The doctor proclaimed as he cleansed and swaddled the baby. "I think the queen will want to know about this."

I tensed as he mentioned the queen. She must not find out about our glitter-less child. "You won't tell her, will you?" I asked nervously. The doctor glanced at me suspiciously. "I mean-" I began again, "It would be an honor if you allowed me, the child's own father, to present her to the queen. Do you not agree?"

The doctor smiled pleasantly once again. "I do. I agree wholeheartedly!"

My wife, Lilly, now held our little Lavender. She hadn't missed my exchanged with the doctor; she only chose to ignore it. I could tell because she had done the same to me every time I tried to tell her something she didn't want to hear.

Later, the doctor left. I sat holding my brand new daughter. She wasn't my first child. But I always felt the rush of parenthood descend on me when I held a newborn that was my own. The first time was with my firstborn, Algernon. Then it was with my second son, Basil. And then with my first daughter, Chrysanthemum. That swell of sweet fatherlyness never shrunk with time. I only wished it could last longer with my sweet, sweet Lavender.

Lilly had sent our three children across town to my brother's house as soon as she found out she was in labor. I decided I would send a message to them, telling them to, "Stay where you are. The Baby is dead. Mother is sick. I will come to you in a fortnight, perhaps sooner. With love, Father."

I hated to lie to them, but it was better than the truth. They would not understand it. They were all less than nine years old.

I wept as I looked down into my Lavender's shiny eyes. She stared curiously back at me.

Lilly was asleep. She did not want any part of what I had to do. We had discussed running away. But we knew with three children and an infant, that was impossible to keep a head start on any pursuers. We could never hide her, for the doctor knew, and he would tell his confidants. Word would spread. My daughter would become infamous for her lack of magic. Lilly left the decision up to me. She didn't trust me; she just wanted to be spared the guilt of any action.

Thirty years ago, the queen had posted signs in every village, "Those who are without magic must be sent to Queen Marion's capital palace as soon as discovered." No one knew what she did to them. But everyone was frightened. Those without magic are increasingly rare. There had not been one in the past ten years. Whether that was because they all hid from the queen, or they were all destroyed by her, none could tell. Now I had to face her, give her my daughter, and then I would be alone.

Lilly would never forgive me. My children would never understand what happened. Lavender would be gone forever.

I couldn't risk not giving Lavender up. If I did not go to the queen immediately, the guards would come to take her away. They would hurt my family. I would be arrested for hiding the queen's "property". My family would fall into ruin without me to provide for them.

Yes, I had to risk Lavender's safety for the safety of the rest of my family...

My heart ripped to pieces. I couldn't do anything. I wept all night. Lavender screamed for something to eat, but Lilly ignored everything.



.....................................................


Oh no, guys! What happens next? Email me (isabela.ninja.princess@gmail.com) a continuation of the story, and I'll post the winning entry by March! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment