Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

And the winner is....

So you remember that writing contest I had last month? I have a winner! This continuation of my helicopter briefcase story is written by my beautiful friend Faith (she can be found over at secretagentunicorn.blogspot.com). It is really fantastic, please enjoy :) 

After running a whole three blocks through town, we thankfully reached the bus just before it left the stop, and clanged up the metal steps, out of breath from our run. "Two bucks a ride mister." The driver said in a dull voice. Kevin clicked open his briefcase and fumbled through the contents. The driver looked annoyed. Kevin, finally finding his money, pulled four ragged $1 bills and handed them to the driver. He then led the way down the rows of seats, choosing one row, and sitting next to the window, leaving an open space for me next to him. I sat as the bus started moving. We were both tired from the previous sudden events: that creepy gang kidnapping us again, that mini-fight Kevin had with one of the members (which also caused smashing the only light in the small room and leaving us bound in the dark), that nasty but helpful talking rat, and now, trying to trace that gang, and hopefully get this whole mess over with. Suddenly, in the near distance, I heard a screech! and a crash! The bus skidded to a stop. Kevin stood and stared out the bus window, as did I. Looking out, I saw glass and car debris strewn across the pavement. I look up the road and see the remains of a black car laying upside down. "That's a 2006 Chevy Impala!" Kevin exclaimed. "So?" I was a bit surprised at his ability to tell a car even though it looked like it drove of a cliff. "That's the same car they were driving remember?" "Oh..." I raised my eyebrows and nodded even though I had no remembrance of the vehicle. "Whatta you doing standing there? Get out of the bus!" Kevin exclaimed in excitement. We darted out the bus and strode down to the scene, close enough to see and hear, but we kept our distance. An ambulance and two police cars were driving up. I stared at the overturned car, seeing no movement inside and wondering how an accident like this could have happened. Or was it an accident? These were our enemies, who had twice kidnapped Kevin and I to get the valuable information our brains held. (And failed, mind you) What if it was intentional? "I don't like this..." I accidentally said aloud.   "How come? We caught up with them without even trying!" "But what of they tried to make it seem that way-" I said as if I was explaining why you should eat your veggies to a small child. "-Because they saw us start trailing them, knowing that if we trailed them all the way back to their secret HQ, they could all spend years in prison for illegal counterfeiting!" I said "And what if their just lying dead or unconscious in their car?" "Well then..." I  stuttered. "We won't have to worry about kidnappers for a while, will we?" Kevin chuckled. We stood and watched as policemen crowded around the car, talked with the EMSs', and kept people away from the area.
A fire truck drove up and brought out some huge pliers, which they used to cut open the side of the car. One of the firefighters climbed through the hole inside. 

Everyone watched.

 Everyone waited.

After a long pause, the man came out looking confused and shaking his head. We barely made out the words: "there's no one in there-" we both stared at each other. Kevin sighed. "Well Annabelle, looks like we're back to square one."

2 comments: