Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Writing Prompt: "Well, we could use your collapsable helicopter briefcase, or we could take the bus."

Okay so this story is absolutely ridiculous. But I love it so much, please enjoy. The narrator is Annabelle and her companion, Kevin:


"How did we escape last time?" I wanted to know. 

"The ropes were looser." Kevin sighed. 

"Oh." Scrap that plan. Now I was all out of reasonable ideas. 

"What are you thinking?" Kevin asked politely. 

I squirmed, trying to loosen the bonds. "I'm sure it would be possible to catch up, if only we could get out right now." I said. 

"Sure. But how?"

I thought and thought. Then I exclaimed, "Kevin! Where's your Swiss Army Knife?"

"In the briefcase, as usual."

"Can you reach it?" I heard him reaching in the dark. When I thought he had it, he muttered curses to the broken light bulbs…Then I thought he had it again, but that noise was just a rat in the misty corners of our dungeon. "If only that rat would come and gnaw away our bonds." I whimpered. 

"Oh, but I would." Squeaked a voice from the misty corner. 

I jumped. Kevin jumped. The rat crept towards us. 

"For a price." The rat continued. 

"What price?" Kevin inquired. He never faltered. That's why I liked him. He was always ready for anything, even a talking rat. 

"A price-"  I heard scuffling on the concrete floor; the rat was pacing. "A price of cheese." He giggled to himself. 

"Kevin," I whispered, "Do we have cheese?" It was a ridiculous notion, both to whisper in a small, echoey room and to think we might have cheese anywhere on our persons. 

"I do." Kevin answered matter-of-factly. "I would never go anywhere without a wholesome snack-that would be completely absurd!"

"Agreed! Agreed!" The rat rubbed his bony claws together with glee. "Give it to me! Give it to me!" He demanded. 

"Of course!" Kevin assented. He tried to move his arms towards the rodent. "Of course…" he sighed despairingly when he found he was still trapped in the rope. "I would, if I could, but I can't. I'm still all tied up, you see?"  Through the gloom, I could feel his face frowning pathetically. 

"I see. I see." The rat caught Kevin's sadness like the plague. Instantly, we were all as distressed as can be. "How will I get my cheese if you are all tied up?" The rat wailed, "Let's see. Let's see…"

We all thought long and hard about the dilemma. Then after a long moment of anticipation, Kevin cried, "I've got it!" His exclamation sent the rat tumbling paws over ears. "You, Mr. Rat, sir, could nip away these cords, and once we're free, we could get you the cheese!" 

The rat squealed in delight. "Excellent! Excellent!" And he scampered over to us. I felt his greasy, grimy fur against my clammy hands and shuddered in disgust. But despite the creature's filth, we were freed in seconds. 

"Where's the cheese, Kevin?" I asked as I rose to my feet. I rubbed my wrists to get the blood circulating again. 

"In the briefcase, where else?" He laughed. I heard him scramble to the case and clumsily feel around with his stiff fingers to unlock it. Finally, I heard a click! and a snap! The room sparkled in the red glow of a glow stick. 

I could finally see again. So could Kevin as he rummaged through the contents to find his "wholesome snack". 

"Aha!" He declared, holding up a bag of shredded mozzarella. "Here you are, Mr. Rat!" And he courteously handed the stuff over. 

A kind of squeaky, frightening laughter echoed around the room as the rat shrieked with delight. "Cheese! Cheese! It's mine! All mine! Glorious Cheese!" And he scurried away in to the misty darkness. 

"Well then." I commented in complete bafflement. 

"Vamonos!" Kevin never lost a beat. He smashed his briefcase closed and kicked down our dungeon door. 

I followed him out cautiously, but he was going full speed ahead. I tried to match my pace with his, but I've always been one step behind him. 

"We can still catch up!" He declared. "I'm sure of it!"

We were out of the prison building now and on the busy street. But I saw their car flying away. 

I halted my run in discouragement. Kevin stopped too when he saw them so far away. "They're getting away!" He yelled. 

"Yes! They are! It's that dagblasted rodent's fault for wanting cheese more than wanting to help us! Now we've lost them! Ugh!" I crossed my arms like a kid having a tantrum. 

Kevin paved back and forth, back and forth swiftly before me, stroking his little baby beard, deep in thought. "Unless," he murmured, staring at something. 

I followed where his eyes had wandered and caught on instantly, "Unless we use your collapsable helicopter briefcase!"

There was a moment of silence while Kevin gaped at me. "My briefcase  does a lot of things, Annabelle, but that is not one of them."

I blushed, but something else caught my eye. "Or we could take the bus!"

"Come on!" He sprinted away. 

The chase was on again, Kevin ahead and me behind, as usual. 



To be continued...

Just for fun, why don't we have a little contest? You finish up this adventure of Annabelle and Kevin, email it to me (at isabela.ninja.princess@gmail.com), and I'll post the winning conclusion on my blog! I'll give you until January 1, 2015 to write and send your version to me (I have no guidelines. Go wherever you want with it! I trust you to keep it clean and good humored:). 

I look forward to reading your stories!

~isabela~

No comments:

Post a Comment