Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The lady at the business office

I checked my account summary for the fall semester.
$690.
That is how much I still owed.
Two scholarships had worked. Over half my tuition had been paid for. I was wanting nothing.
Nothing but the third scholarship to work.
Because I didn't have $690.
I called the Scholarship office. They didn't know what to do.
I called the Business office. They transferred me to the lady in charge of scholarships. She didn't answer her phone that day. So I left a message. And waited.
And waited.
And waited.
I called again.
And again.
And again.
For a week.
"God! What do I do? The balance is due on Monday and today is Friday!" I had faith. God would take care of me. He always took care of me.
Saturday and Sunday passed. I complained to my friends about the situation. I told myself I had faith. But the more I complained, the more I found I didn't trust God.
I told myself I would call again on Monday, and get everything sorted out before the day was done. God would take care of me as long as I took matters in my own hands. God helps those who help themselves, after all...
Monday came. I called again. She didn't answer her phone. I left another message.
"GOD!" My heart was frantic. I panicked and could do nothing but worry and complain. I complained to God, "I asked you to take care of this on Friday. I need you to make this scholarship work. I need $690 paid for today. The money is there, you just need to make this lady pick up the phone. She just needs to-"
"Hush, child." I was hushed. "Do I not pave my streets of my city with gold? Do you not think I have $690 for you? I am the King of Kings. My land flows with milk and honey. I even take care of the sparrows! How much more do you think I will take care of you?"
"I know..I know.."
"I gave you the gift of faith, where is your faith, little one? You said you would trust Me."
"I trust you, God."
"Then trust Me."
I remembered my neighbor, who told me that he and his wife never worried about money. God always provided for them, no matter the time frame, no matter the sum. My neighbor told me, "We always knew God would take care of us. When we needed money, we always knew He would provide. But sometimes it was just like:" And he raised his hands up in question, and he lifted his eyes in doubt of his Savior, "Come on, God..." And he looked me dead in the eyes, "But we never should have doubted because, always, just in time, God came through, just like always."
I remembered this, and told myself I would trust God.
But doubts filled my mind again. Have I really done everything I could do? I could go up to the office and talk to the lady in person. I found her email address. I asked my parents if I should email her and ask her to take care of my scholarship. 
Mother and Father both said, "Wait for God. Just wait." 
Evening was upon us. Office hours were over. 
I checked my balance again. 
$690 still to be paid for.
"I am not going to worry about this." I told myself as I worried.
To get my mind off the matter I checked social media.
Where I found:
and again:
And my dad came into the room, "Don't worry. I know you've done everything you can do to fix this." But I asked myself, had I really? I hadn't emailed the scholarship office. I hadn't even gone there to talk to someone in person. "You have left multiple phone messages. You have called every office. And I have helped you; I have called the college. I know you have done what you could. This will all work out. It isn't your job anymore to try to fix this. God will take care of everything."
So I went to bed, and tried to forget my problems. "I trust you, God. I trust you..."

When I woke up, the first thing I did was worry. (It accomplished nothing for me.) I asked my mom, "If my tuition isn't paid for, should I still to go to Orientation tonight? Because the email I received said that if my tuition isn't paid by yesterday then all my classes will be cancelled."
"Why don't you go check your balance to see if it has changed at all?"
I obeyed, doubting though, because I had checked it after the school office closed the night before, and now I was checking it as the office opened...What chance was there that someone had taken care of anything in between last night and this morning?
I opened my laptop, typed in my username and password, clicked on "Account Summary."
And the balance was paid in full, with money left over so I could buy my textbooks.
"God, I am so so sorry for doubting you. I never should have worried. I always know you will always take care of me! Please forgive me for my unbelief."

No comments:

Post a Comment